Quantcast
What do you give if your animals ate rat poisoning? - Homesteading Today
Homesteading Today

Come enter the Lehman's Aladdin Lamp Giveaway!

Go Back   Homesteading Today > Livestock Forums > Poultry


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1  
Old 09/24/10, 09:51 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,670
What do you give if your animals ate rat poisoning?

I tried getting advice on the pig forum, but no one read it yet.
Last night my friends pig ate rat poisoning. We took her to ER, hopefully she'll make it.
The only thing I could think of was a mollasses flush, or charcoal.
The vet had us give her hydrogen peroxide to make her throw up.
The pharmacist charged $1200.00 dollars for a charcoal solution..not kidding! We bought $200.00 worth. This is a vaulble breeding pig.
So in the event, that any animal, or chickens get poisoned...what's a good thing to have on hand?

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09/24/10, 11:33 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: TX
Posts: 637

I am not an expert but I would say charcoal too. My granddaughter put tea tree all over my cat one Sunday and almost killed her and charcoal capsules saved her.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09/24/10, 12:01 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,670

Anything besides the capsules? How about making our own solution?

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09/24/10, 01:07 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: TX
Posts: 637

I broke the capsules open and put them in milk and she drank them. The first two capsules I got down her throat because she was too weak to fuss.

__________________

Last edited by cathyharrell; 09/24/10 at 02:10 PM. Reason: correcting my words
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09/24/10, 01:54 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: northcentral MN
Posts: 13,675

$1,200?????

For goats you just use a $1.50 carton of activated charcoal like they use in aquariums. It is also available in a paste in the horse/cattle section of the farm stores.

They also give mineral oil to move the poison out of the gut.

What's the active ingredient in the poison?

My dog ate some D-con and the vet just gave her vitamin K.

__________________

"Do you believe in the devil? You know, a supreme evil being dedicated to the temptation, corruption, and destruction of man?" Hobbs
"I'm not sure that man needs the help." Calvin

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09/24/10, 02:35 PM
Cyngbaeld's Avatar
homesteader
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Between Bryan and Austin, TX
Posts: 27,871

You need to know what the poison is. Warfarin is an anticoagulant and you give vitamin K. Cyanide is not adsorbed by charcoal so you give nitrate (which can poison an animal on its own so you have to know what you are doing). Strychnine and many other things such as bacterial toxins require charcoal. Like Nathan said, get it at the aquarium supply. You can also buy medical grade activated charcoal online.

__________________

I believe in God's willingness to heal.

Cyngbaeld's Keep Heritage Farm, breeding a variety of historical birds and LaMancha goats.

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09/24/10, 03:57 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,670

Can't thank you all enough!
I will look at the label to see what poison is. So Far, she is ok, but her abdomen is swollen. But she is eating like a pig. We have her on watermelon , pumpkin pie filling, and prunes. I really thank u all very much!

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09/24/10, 04:05 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,670

It is D-con, and she is on Vit. K. Thanks again and again!

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09/24/10, 04:46 PM
suelandress's Avatar
Windy Island Acres
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The Quiet Corner of CT
Posts: 4,588

Does vitamin K require a vet prescription, or is it the same as a peoples vitamin pill?

__________________

WindyIslandPeeps.com
The air of heaven is that which blows between a horses ears-
Life should be "Little House" meets the "Jetsons"

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09/24/10, 05:10 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,670

Good question!

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09/24/10, 05:59 PM
Cyngbaeld's Avatar
homesteader
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Between Bryan and Austin, TX
Posts: 27,871

Same. You don't need a script. I'm not sure the dose needed, it depends on how much of the warfarin got into her system. Warfarin works by inhibiting vit K so you need enough vit k to use up the warfarin and still have enough for normal clotting. Otherwise she can bleed to death.

__________________

I believe in God's willingness to heal.

Cyngbaeld's Keep Heritage Farm, breeding a variety of historical birds and LaMancha goats.

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09/24/10, 07:35 PM
Shygal's Avatar
Unreality star
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 9,878

What do you do with the charcoal for a goat?

__________________

Recognize the beauty in things, in creation, even when thats difficult to do.
Be loving, show compassion. Create while we're here.
Enjoy this life, be in this life but not be of it.

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09/24/10, 09:35 PM
WstTxLady's Avatar  
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Texas
Posts: 1,817

aren't you supposed to NOT make them throw up if they ingest rat poison?

__________________
"you can't be lost if you don't care where you are going"
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09/24/10, 10:21 PM
Cyngbaeld's Avatar
homesteader
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Between Bryan and Austin, TX
Posts: 27,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shygal View Post
What do you do with the charcoal for a goat?
If the goat is eating ok, just sprinkle it on her feed. It is tasteless. If she is not eating, you'll have to bolus her. That can be a bit tricky if you've never done it.
__________________

I believe in God's willingness to heal.

Cyngbaeld's Keep Heritage Farm, breeding a variety of historical birds and LaMancha goats.

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09/25/10, 09:29 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 321

WstTxlady-
I think the only time you're not supposed to make an animal throw up is when the substance is caustic (lye) and could damage the esophagus. Or a volatile (kerosene) and the kid could aspirate it into lungs. These need professionals to evacuate the stomach with equipment. But pharmaceutical poisons and regular overdoses - puke away!

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09/25/10, 01:37 PM
Another adventure!
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Texas (Texoma)
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyngbaeld View Post
Same. You don't need a script. I'm not sure the dose needed, it depends on how much of the warfarin got into her system. Warfarin works by inhibiting vit K so you need enough vit k to use up the warfarin and still have enough for normal clotting. Otherwise she can bleed to death.
The recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for vitamin K is 80 mg per day for adult males and 65 mg per day for adult females, and 5 mg/day for the newborn infant. Natural forms of vitamin K found in foods are only about half as potent compared to synthetic version. While adequate amount of vitamin K can be obtained by consuming leafy green vegetables on a regular basis for many men and women between 18 and 44 years may benefit from supplemental vitamin K.

That's pretty much the standard dosage. To convert this for the pig, give approximately 5 mg per 8 lbs of weight. It did say that one could not overdosed this supplement. I will say that once the poisoning crisis is past to discontinue the vit K, and the body normally maintains the balance of D/K/Cal/Mag necessary for bone and blood health.
Good luck
__________________

Julie

More questions than answers

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09/25/10, 03:33 PM
suelandress's Avatar
Windy Island Acres
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The Quiet Corner of CT
Posts: 4,588

I also continued reading and found that you are supposed to use viatamin K1 not K2

__________________

WindyIslandPeeps.com
The air of heaven is that which blows between a horses ears-
Life should be "Little House" meets the "Jetsons"

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09/25/10, 08:18 PM
Voodoo-Jones's Avatar  
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 167

I'm a former veterinary tech (small animal) And current EMT and can tell you what to do if your dog eats warfarin for future reference. You want to induced vomiting only if the poison was ingested within 2 hours as you don't want to strain blood vessels and cause bleeding after poison has been absorbed. If it's been more than 2 hours, use activated charcoal and possibly check clotting time of blood. Give vitamin k1, 5mg per kg twice daily for 3 weeks. I'm curious, what was the dose for your pig? All other instructions should be similar.

__________________

"I think I could turn and live with animals, they are
so placid and self-contained,
I stand and look at them long and long." ~ Walt Whitman

Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 AM.