Quantcast
feeding oats - Homesteading Today
Homesteading Today

Come enter the Lehman's Aladdin Lamp Giveaway!

Go Back   Homesteading Today > Livestock Forums > Pigs

Pigs Come Roll in the Mud with Us!


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1  
Old 03/05/11, 11:17 AM
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 535
feeding oats

I've been mixing my pig pellets with whole oats since I got them. I notice that a fair amount of the oats seem to "pass through" undigested. Can't say that I've done more than look but I have noticed them nosing through them and eating out the undigested ones.

My question is would there be any advantage of rolling or crimping them? If so what's a good starter unit...read cheap!!!

Mike

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03/05/11, 11:46 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gratiot Co, Michigan
Posts: 1,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menglish View Post
I've been mixing my pig pellets with whole oats since I got them. I notice that a fair amount of the oats seem to "pass through" undigested. Can't say that I've done more than look but I have noticed them nosing through them and eating out the undigested ones.

My question is would there be any advantage of rolling or crimping them? If so what's a good starter unit...read cheap!!!

Mike
I would guess rolled.

How the little piggies doing?

Going to try to get to see you in the next couple of weeks.
__________________

Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Gallowglass
Amoung the things I've learned in life are these two tidbits...
1) don't put trust into how politicians explain things
2) you are likely to bleed if you base your actions upon 'hope'...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03/05/11, 02:41 PM
olivehill's Avatar  
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,258

Mike, you're not far from me are you? I'm trying to remember. Best practice would probably be to grind them, but it's not always feasible at home. You can take them to the mill and have them ground for a very nominal fee though. If my memory isn't junk and you are near me and you are interested in that option shoot me a PM and I'll tell you of one place I know that does it and what the cost is.

Assuming here you're using them because you've got a big bulk supply of them. If you're buying them from the mill to begin with, just ask them to grind them for you before you pick them up.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03/05/11, 03:47 PM
linn's Avatar  
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,441

Have you tried soaking your oats or grinding them? If whole corn is fed to hogs or cow, a lot of it will pass through the digestive system without the animal getting the good out of it.

__________________
Visit the Christian Homesteader
http://farmwoman.proboards.com/index.cgi
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03/05/11, 09:32 PM
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 535

Riverdale I'm not too far from you. In fact I went past Riverdale just last Saturday. I coach basketball at the local highschool here and the junior high girls played in a tournament over at Vestaburg. Come on over...hopefully have a litter due here pretty soon.

Olivehill, I'm west of 127 about 10 miles just off of 57. I think you are right and we are fairly close. I buy oats at a local feed store but I don't know if they can grind or roll fo rme. I could soak them...never thought of that.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03/05/11, 11:05 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,242

I fed crimped oats since they're more digestible, but my AHH don't like oats. Rolled barley yes, oats no! -G-

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03/10/11, 12:17 PM
Sugarstone Farm
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 810

I feed whole oats. Grinding them costs more money and labor/time than it's worth to me. I have chickens, ducks, geese, turkey, and guineas that clean up around the pigs so not much goes to waste.

__________________
Sugarstone Farm Blog
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03/10/11, 10:19 PM
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 535

Thanks Mareowner!

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03/10/11, 10:59 PM
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Zone 7
Posts: 10,178

Menglish

Start making a "slop" by souring the oats by soaking them in water a few days in advance of feeding the oats. Add the pig pellets at the time of feeding and stir before pouring the "slop" to the pig.

__________________

Agmantoo
If they can do it,
you know you can!

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03/11/11, 10:10 AM
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 535

Thanks I'll give that a try as soon as it quits getting below freezing here. Only 30 this morning but just a week ago we were down to 8 above 0. Don't really want a 5 gallon bucket of soured outs in the house! LOL

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03/11/11, 04:25 PM
olivehill's Avatar  
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,258

Careful they don't get too sour as well, at least with the young ones. I know of at least one AGH owner that lost young pigs to soured slop.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03/12/11, 10:32 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gratiot Co, Michigan
Posts: 1,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menglish View Post
Riverdale I'm not too far from you. In fact I went past Riverdale just last Saturday. I coach basketball at the local highschool here and the junior high girls played in a tournament over at Vestaburg. Come on over...hopefully have a litter due here pretty soon.

Olivehill, I'm west of 127 about 10 miles just off of 57. I think you are right and we are fairly close. I buy oats at a local feed store but I don't know if they can grind or roll fo rme. I could soak them...never thought of that.
Cool, I'll drop you a note.

I'll check with Steve (here at the Riverdale elevator) and see if they would roll or grind oats (we get out feed through there).

And if you came acrossed Lincoln Road between Alma and Lumberjack, you came by the house, like right in front of it

__________________

Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Gallowglass
Amoung the things I've learned in life are these two tidbits...
1) don't put trust into how politicians explain things
2) you are likely to bleed if you base your actions upon 'hope'...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03/12/11, 08:08 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 39

Menglish, what kind of hogs do you raise? I am just south of Merrill, western Saginaw County. Our feed guy at our elevator here suggested not feeding oats as they act as a laxative. Any truth to that anybody?

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03/12/11, 08:12 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 39

Likewise, Riverdale, what type of hogs are you running? I am always on the look out for good feeder suppliers locally, though I did find some good ones last year just north of me. They were York/Hamp/Duroc crosses and finished out very nicely.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03/12/11, 10:33 PM
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 535

Fisch, I'm in my second year of raising American Guinea Hogs. If it's a laxative you couldn't tell it by my pigs. I took the advice of some who raise them as far as feeding them and it has worked well for me. Oh I'm just a bit south of you...Meridian road north of M57. Do most of my shopping etc in Sheilds and travel through Merril all the time. Sure miss Greta's restaurant there! LOL

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03/13/11, 08:14 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gratiot Co, Michigan
Posts: 1,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch View Post
Likewise, Riverdale, what type of hogs are you running? I am always on the look out for good feeder suppliers locally, though I did find some good ones last year just north of me. They were York/Hamp/Duroc crosses and finished out very nicely.
We don't have hogs (right now). Hope (in a year or two) to have a couple for our own consumption. I do know a good butcher in Elwell, tho

South of Merrill? I am on Lincoln (turns into Swan Creek in Saginaw Co.).

Maybe run into you at a St Louis small animal swap
__________________

Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Gallowglass
Amoung the things I've learned in life are these two tidbits...
1) don't put trust into how politicians explain things
2) you are likely to bleed if you base your actions upon 'hope'...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03/13/11, 11:01 AM
springvalley's Avatar
Family Jersey Dairy
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,762

Oats are a wonderful feed, and as some have allready said here it is best to roll, grind or soak them first. And many small elevators use to roll oats on a regular basis, but as times have changed, so have the elevators. Some don`t use their rollers any more, as not much call for them. Good Luck. > Thanks Marc

__________________

Our Diversified Stock Portfolio: cows and calves, alpacas, horses, pigs, chickens, goats, sheep, cats ... and a couple of dogs...
http://springvalleyfarm.4mg.com

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03/13/11, 03:16 PM
Sugarstone Farm
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 810

Oats as a laxative? Never heard that. No evidence of that in my hogs.

__________________
Sugarstone Farm Blog
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03/13/11, 10:38 PM
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdale View Post
We don't have hogs (right now). Hope (in a year or two) to have a couple for our own consumption. I do know a good butcher in Elwell, tho

South of Merrill? I am on Lincoln (turns into Swan Creek in Saginaw Co.).

Maybe run into you at a St Louis small animal swap
I get up to St. Louis a couple of times a summer. Love to go early and then sneak over to Big Boys and have the breakfast buffet and read a paper. That combo is truly a luxury for me!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03/19/11, 09:58 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gratiot Co, Michigan
Posts: 1,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menglish View Post
I get up to St. Louis a couple of times a summer. Love to go early and then sneak over to Big Boys and have the breakfast buffet and read a paper. That combo is truly a luxury for me!
See you the 16th of April for the small animal swap?

Talked to Steve over here at Riverdale feeds, They don't roll oats
__________________

Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Gallowglass
Amoung the things I've learned in life are these two tidbits...
1) don't put trust into how politicians explain things
2) you are likely to bleed if you base your actions upon 'hope'...
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03/19/11, 09:50 PM
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 535

My schedule says April 9th? If nothing comes up I'll probably be there.

My feed store can get them in but they are twice the price of whole oats. Think I'm gonna do some experimenting in the next few weeks.

Looks like Aunt Jemimah didn't catch the first time around so we are still a couple of weeks away from piglets from her.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03/22/11, 10:29 PM
Tim (the W of R-W Hogs)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: north west ks
Posts: 508

We are thinking about adding 200lbs of Oats to our feed for the pigs, We grind/mix our own feed and i was told that ground oats is like flour, I dont think it will make a difference in the taste of the feed. Any body grind your oats for pigs?
We mix by the ton, So it would be 1,775lbs corn & 200lbs oats & 25LBS sea kelp

Ideas, Input, Or just share what you mix

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03/22/11, 10:50 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northeast Indiana
Posts: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW kansas hogs View Post
We are thinking about adding 200lbs of Oats to our feed for the pigs, We grind/mix our own feed and i was told that ground oats is like flour, I dont think it will make a difference in the taste of the feed. Any body grind your oats for pigs?
We mix by the ton, So it would be 1,775lbs corn & 200lbs oats & 25LBS sea kelp

Ideas, Input, Or just share what you mix
I like using oats in nursery pig rations as te starch is quite digestible and the fiber helps with gut health. I also use it in Show Pig rations, it helps with bloom. In these rations I use steam rolled oats, the steam flaking greatly improves digestiblity of the oats.

What are you using for a protein source when you mix feed? The mix you posted isn't going to be much good for any pig.

Jim
__________________

Last edited by Lazy J; 03/22/11 at 10:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03/23/11, 11:59 PM
Tim (the W of R-W Hogs)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: north west ks
Posts: 508

We use a protein mix ( just had a major brain fart and i cant remember the brand).
There is 2 types we get, 1 for the weaners & growers (pellets) and another is for the Sows (pre-ground). We grind the pellets with the corn because we found out that the pellets are heavier than the ground corn and fall out to the side of the feeder when we fill the feeder, Basicly the pigs had to eat there way thru the pellets to get to the corn. We use the big round feeders.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03/24/11, 12:15 AM
Tim (the W of R-W Hogs)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: north west ks
Posts: 508

I forgot to ask you Jim what your opinion is on grinding oats for pigs, I can get oats by the ton at the local co-op but they arent steamed, Or crimped. There just oats.
I can get steamed crimped oats in 50lb bags from orschlen's for $12.42 a bag or buy the plain ole oats for $263 a ton.
I do need help on this one because this what we plan feeding our pigs, If i can get disstillers grain locally we mite use it to

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 PM.