Wild Cherry - Toxic to Livestock! - Homesteading Today
Homesteading Today

Go Back   Homesteading Today > Livestock Forums > Cattle

Cattle For Those Who Like To Have A Cow.


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1  
Old 07/06/05, 10:03 PM
BJ BJ is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mid-Missouri
Posts: 525
Exclamation Wild Cherry - Toxic to Livestock!

We just learned today that wild cherry tree leaves are toxic to cattle and horses! An old farmer who is digging a new pond for us pointed out the trees that now have berries. He pushed over 3 trees and we will burn them in our brush pile tomorrow. DH was careful to pick up all the leaves as the drying, wrinkled leaves are the most toxic. Guess we were lucky that we have not experience any problems. Tomorrow we will patrol the other areas of our pastures to see if we have any more of these trees on our property. Just wanted to share with you in case you were not aware of this toxic tree.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07/06/05, 10:05 PM
Seeking Type
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 2,102

Yes, the drying leaves are toxic. But don't go overly nuts hunting down limb after limb.


Jeff

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07/06/05, 10:08 PM
BJ BJ is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mid-Missouri
Posts: 525

Jeff....Why? These trees on our property are BIG..obviously have been there a long time. We've been told that cattle have always grazed this place...so apparently the "old" farmers weren't worried about the wild cherry trees. Maybe the leaves don't taste very good and the cattle will leave them alone?????

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07/06/05, 11:36 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 140

Thier only dangerous if they are partly wilted like in a tree or large limb falls in a storm then starts wilting. If they are green on the tree thier safe. odd but true aparently they form some sort of alkaloid when they start wilting.
So many people do cut them down to avoid thr risk but if their healthy its realy up to you if you want to take that risk.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07/07/05, 02:22 PM
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Western NY
Posts: 678

Yes they are only dangerous when the leaves are wilted, my Dexters love to eat the leaves all the time, but do check for for downed limbs. I believe it's arsenic poisoning that they will get from the wilted leaves.

Carol K

__________________

Midhill Dexters
http://www.midhilldexters.com/

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07/07/05, 02:48 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: deep south texas
Posts: 5,066

Before yopu burn check and see if the logs are salable for timber as cherry is not a cheap wood.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07/07/05, 08:17 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Georgia
Posts: 873

Please don't burn good cherry wood!!!! Sell them in the very least!

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07/07/05, 08:41 PM
Seeking Type
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 2,102

We have cherry trees around some of our pastures, and they are big. Cows are fine, no problems, and I rarely see a branch down. The last time a big cherry fell, was a split off another part of it, into a hay field. So no danger to any cows. We did have one other tree fell, some sort of elm. One of our Jerseys ate too many leaves, she went down, bloated. But we did get her up, she passed gas and she was fine. So other trees can be dangerous too it seems, and this was not a cherry tree.


Also from what I understand (correct me if im wrong, im not a horse person), some weeds can be toxic to a horse?


Jeff

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07/11/05, 03:45 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 51

One thing about wild cherry leaves that is true of many (but not all) other toxic plants -- they are not very palatable and most poisonings occur when there is not adequate pasture for the livestock to graze.

A great website listing toxic plants w/ pictures and lots of info is from the Purdue vet school -- www.vet.purdue.edu/depts/addl/toxic/byanim.htm -- several others are out there and will be very informative for you. Many common trees and shrubs are toxic.

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 AM.