You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Homesteading Today!    
Homesteading Forum

Go Back   Homesteading Forum > Livestock Forums > Beekeeping

Beekeeping Come see what all the buzz is about!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02/01/13, 04:12 PM
||Downhome||'s Avatar
Born in the wrong Century
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,431
? for the Michigan Keepers.

I slightly familiar with the laws governing Honey sales.
I'm working on something and was wondering where to specifically find requirements, or you basic understanding of, selling third party.
Again this is a Michigan based question, only Itrastate and not Interstate.
You produce, I distribute to customer type of thing.
May be a mark up on it but I don't see it as money maker for me but more a draw for my product line.
Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/13, 09:01 PM
haypoint's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Northern Michigan (U.P.)
Posts: 11,835
I'd check with your Extension Agent. MSU Extension has been helping all sorts of cottage industry stuff. Plus, Michigan has been trying to grow the Farmers Markets and has passed laws that cut the red tape for small food businsses.

I went to their Market Garden Class and they operate a CSA in a greenhouse on campus. Provide food 48 weeks out of the year, without added heat! They are a great resource.
Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/13, 06:59 AM
alleyyooper's Avatar
keeper of the bees
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,912

Michigan has a honey producers only law to sell honey any place other than from your front door step. You need a licenced honey house to do the extractiong and packageing.
There is a smaller limit where you don't need the licenced honey house but you have to lable as produceing the honey from a NONLICENCED fucility.

You can get more information from Michigan Beekeepers Association. Contact Terry Toland the president.

Or contact Roger Sutherland at SEAMBAs web site.

Garden View Apiaries. Where the view is as sweet as the honey.
A member of SEMBA & MBA.
Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/13, 12:58 PM
||Downhome||'s Avatar
Born in the wrong Century
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,431
I knew keepers could sell unlicensed under certain circumstances as yet, I'm just a wanna be keeper. eventually but it will be more personnel use and added pollinator here.
That what I need to know before I approach the couple local keepers with my proposition.
second party sales requirements.
Thanks Alley,
Haypoint I'm familiar with the cottage food law and plays into this, but even if I can get a Michigan honey supplier I will need to be a licensed entity. Not all bad I then sell to restaurants and stores.
Just need to figure out how to keep it seperate, I would still want to take advantage of the cottage food aspect (20,000 or less) and then the Licensed part (25,000 or less) after the gross is passed you get into different licensing.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
News: NAIS key to helping Michigan Cattlemen haypoint Homesteading Questions 1 08/07/12 01:48 PM
Small Farmers Rule In Michigan haypoint General Chat 38 05/12/12 02:05 PM
Feds give Michigan right to manage Wolves haypoint General Chat 48 02/10/12 04:32 PM
Hsteading in Michigan Callieslamb Countryside Families 10 09/26/07 05:20 PM
The Michigan PBB disaster ladycat Countryside Families 3 05/09/07 11:46 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 AM.