Originally Posted by Lt. Wombat
People around here put calcium chloride in their tires. After seeing what it does to car body metal I don't see how it doesn't eat the tractors wheel but they say it won't.
Antifreeze is a toxic hazzard, while Calcuim Cloride is not.
Antifreeze is lighter than water, while CC is a salt that makes a solution heavier than water - weight is the point, you want weight.
My tire coop would throw a fit if I asked them to repair a tire of mine, & I had antifreeze in them to contaminate their CC supply.
CC is a whole heck of a lot cheaper than antifreeze. Can't imagine buying 40-50 gallons of antifreeze or more per tractor.
The CC only rusts metal when it is exposed to air (o2). Take care of leaks promptly, flush them, do a tiny bit of maintenence, and CC is far & away the better product for tractor weight. I would certainly put a tube in the tire & put CC in the tube, but I have a nearly 30 year old tractor with CC in all 4 tires, no tubes, & it has worked fine.
There is a non-corosive product made of beet pulp, called Rim Guard & perhaps other brand names, that can be used instead of CC.
Of course, this topic is about like chevy vs Ford, which is better - everyone has a strong opinion, and that is fine.
As to how to do it, my tire coop comes out & does it for me for $20, but you can do it yourself. They make a special valve that someone mentioned & a cheap drill powered garden hose pump, or you can (safely!) put a barrel above your tire & let gravity do the work.
Tire on the tractor, tire jacked up, valve stem to the top, only fill the tire up to the valvestem, you need about 1/4 of the tire to be filled with air to allow for shock load.