Home made RV composting toilet anyone? - Homesteading Today
Homesteading Today

Go Back   Homesteading Today > General Homesteading Forums > Homesteading Questions


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1  
Old 09/26/10, 09:18 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,739
Home made RV composting toilet anyone?

We'll be in the RV this winter. We have an outhouse, but it sure would be nice to have a composting toilet IN the RV for those cold days. The outhouse is very close to the RV's summer spot, but will not be so close to the RV winter spot.

It'd be nice to have a bucket or something under the RV that we'd remove from outside. I know to have it compost nicely you want little to no water. The RV toilet "funnel" is pretty narrow and depends on water to clean solids off the sides. So getting rid of the "funnel" and not letting a lot of cold air in here is what I'm wondering about.

Anyone do this?

__________________

Our website promoting the use of Missouri Herbs. www.MissouriHerbs.com

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09/26/10, 10:15 AM
Alice In TX/MO's Avatar
More dharma, less drama.
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Texas Coastal Bend/S. Missouri
Posts: 30,028

Bucket / Sawdust

http://humanurehandbook.com/index.html

__________________

Alice
* * *
"No great thing is created suddenly." ~Epictitus

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09/26/10, 10:25 AM
ErinP's Avatar
Too many fat quarters...
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SW Nebraska, NW Kansas
Posts: 8,271

I don't know how you'd do this using your existing facilities... You can't keep the bucket outside because that's just asking for problems.

__________________
~*~Erin~*~
SAHM, ranch wife, sub and quilt shop proprietress

the Back Gate Country Quilt Shop
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09/26/10, 10:55 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 40

Try toilet liners. They basically are put inside of your toilet when you need to use the restroom and you can remove them with a draw string and dispose of when done. Walgreens, Walmart, etc all carry them.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09/26/10, 10:55 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 123

Yes it can be done...That being said, you need to decide if you want to make this a permanant fix...

RV toilets drop straight thru to the holding tank below. Remove the black water holding tank and you will see the bottom of the toilet. Place your bucket below the hole and your waste will drop straight into the bucket. Place the saw dust or composting material in the bucket and you're on your way...You will need to have easy access to the bucket to empty but this is very doable

Just my 2 cents...

__________________

Just my opinion...
Just my luk...

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09/26/10, 11:24 AM
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: oklahoma
Posts: 1,801

got one of those frames for handicapped people to put over the toilet so they can get up and down-already has a "seat". toss bucket with sawdust under it. use toilet. empty daily. we put ours in the shower section of the rv since we don't have running water anyway. haul it out to a hole and bury it.

__________________

Let a smile be your umbrella against the thunderstorms of life.
have a great day.
when i call on Jesus, all things are possible.

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09/26/10, 12:13 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice In TX/MO View Post
We did that this spring till the outhouse was ready. It'd be nice not to have to carry a bucket of poop through the tight space of the RV. Just trying to think of a way to use the existing toilet and also not take up additional space we don't have with a bucket. But we will if we have to.
__________________

Our website promoting the use of Missouri Herbs. www.MissouriHerbs.com

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09/26/10, 12:15 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgoatgal2 View Post
got one of those frames for handicapped people to put over the toilet so they can get up and down-already has a "seat". toss bucket with sawdust under it. use toilet. empty daily. we put ours in the shower section of the rv since we don't have running water anyway. haul it out to a hole and bury it.
That's where we had ours. It's nice having that for other things like laundry and such. Or this winter when we heat water for showers, that's where we were going to wash. The outdoor shower will be too cold this winter. Hate taking up that space again.
__________________

Our website promoting the use of Missouri Herbs. www.MissouriHerbs.com

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09/26/10, 12:17 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmyluk View Post
Yes it can be done...That being said, you need to decide if you want to make this a permanant fix...

RV toilets drop straight thru to the holding tank below. Remove the black water holding tank and you will see the bottom of the toilet. Place your bucket below the hole and your waste will drop straight into the bucket. Place the saw dust or composting material in the bucket and you're on your way...You will need to have easy access to the bucket to empty but this is very doable

Just my 2 cents...
Yeah it would probably be a permanent fix. The problem is the little funnel shape at the bottom of the toilet that the water would usually wash down on. The hole itself isn't um, lined up for the waste to drop straight down the middle of the hole.
__________________

Our website promoting the use of Missouri Herbs. www.MissouriHerbs.com

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09/26/10, 02:55 PM
dragonjaze's Avatar
hating the 'burbs!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N. IL, wishing I was in W WA
Posts: 1,044

My best suggestion would be to remove the RV toilet, cover the hole and use the sawdust bucket. I know carrying a bucket out of the trailer is a hassle, but I can't really see any other way of using the existing toilet without adequate water.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09/26/10, 09:46 PM
wy_white_wolf's Avatar
Just howling at the moon
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 5,252
http://www.quakekare.com/bucket-styl...FR7_iAodqm7n6Q

Add your own sawdust.
__________________

If the grass looks greener it is probably over the septic tank. - troy n sarah tx

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10/05/10, 06:49 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonjaze View Post
My best suggestion would be to remove the RV toilet, cover the hole and use the sawdust bucket. I know carrying a bucket out of the trailer is a hassle, but I can't really see any other way of using the existing toilet without adequate water.
This is what we are doing right now. DH took the existing toilet out of the RV and the tank underneath. He's going to try to have something under the RV, boxed off with a door and removable bucket. Till he builds that box to put the bucket in, the bucket is inside and toilet lid on. It's been cold every morning, so this will be nice! I think we're going to use leaves instead of sawdust. They are everywhere. We aren't going through the bucket of leaves as fast as I thought we would since I started doing that with the outhouse.

I packed a 5 gallon bucket with leaves maybe over a week ago for the outhouse and we've barely made a dent. So I won't be picking up leaves as often as I thought I would.
__________________

Our website promoting the use of Missouri Herbs. www.MissouriHerbs.com

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10/05/10, 07:04 PM
dragonjaze's Avatar
hating the 'burbs!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N. IL, wishing I was in W WA
Posts: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparticle View Post
This is what we are doing right now. DH took the existing toilet out of the RV and the tank underneath. He's going to try to have something under the RV, boxed off with a door and removable bucket. Till he builds that box to put the bucket in, the bucket is inside and toilet lid on. It's been cold every morning, so this will be nice! I think we're going to use leaves instead of sawdust. They are everywhere. We aren't going through the bucket of leaves as fast as I thought we would since I started doing that with the outhouse.

I packed a 5 gallon bucket with leaves maybe over a week ago for the outhouse and we've barely made a dent. So I won't be picking up leaves as often as I thought I would.
Leaves will work well, from what I understand. Maybe would work a little better if they were shredded. But use plenty of any kind of good carbon source, and you should be ok!

The only problem I can envision is "skid marks" on the side of whatever kind of chute you use. But I guess a squirt of water and scrub every so often would solve that, too
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10/05/10, 08:30 PM
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 6,276

Paper is a carbon source too. Consider the paper packaging you throw away (cream cheese cartons, junk mail).

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10/06/10, 07:23 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonjaze View Post
Leaves will work well, from what I understand. Maybe would work a little better if they were shredded. But use plenty of any kind of good carbon source, and you should be ok!

The only problem I can envision is "skid marks" on the side of whatever kind of chute you use. But I guess a squirt of water and scrub every so often would solve that, too
Skipping that problem by removing the toilet all together and replaced it with a bucket. The funnel in the RV toilet was the problem.
__________________

Our website promoting the use of Missouri Herbs. www.MissouriHerbs.com

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10/06/10, 07:27 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,739

I'm looking for a good website with free information on maintaining a composting toilet. So far the links I've checked want you to buy something. From what I've gleaned, as little liquid as possible and keeping the volume sort of leveled out. Then when you transfer to an out door humanure bed, you want to somehow line the bottom so that it doesn't leach into the soil. Is that step REALLY necessary. People have been pooping in the woods how long?

update: found the free humanure handbook online thanks to someone's link. I didn't see that there was a free copy, sorry.

__________________

Our website promoting the use of Missouri Herbs. www.MissouriHerbs.com


Last edited by Sparticle; 10/06/10 at 08:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10/06/10, 09:13 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,739
http://humanurehandbook.com/contents.html

The free copy is available by clicking on each item in the table of content list.
__________________

Our website promoting the use of Missouri Herbs. www.MissouriHerbs.com

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10/06/10, 06:46 PM
dragonjaze's Avatar
hating the 'burbs!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N. IL, wishing I was in W WA
Posts: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparticle View Post
http://humanurehandbook.com/contents.html

The free copy is available by clicking on each item in the table of content list.
Yep, I downloaded those files and read each one. My boyfriend asked me why I had a folder labeled "----- Book" on my desktop LOL
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10/06/10, 07:03 PM
ErinP's Avatar
Too many fat quarters...
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SW Nebraska, NW Kansas
Posts: 8,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonjaze View Post
Yep, I downloaded those files and read each one. My boyfriend asked me why I had a folder labeled "----- Book" on my desktop LOL
LOL!!:smiley-laughing013:
My 10 year old is standing here asking, "What's so funny??"
__________________
~*~Erin~*~
SAHM, ranch wife, sub and quilt shop proprietress

the Back Gate Country Quilt Shop
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10/11/10, 12:16 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: B.C.
Posts: 386

There is a basic toilet seat/lid that fits right onto a 5 gallon pail.
Called a Luggable Loo. They are about $15 and worth it!
After use throw in a few handfulls of sawdust.
Then hike it out somewhere the dogs can't get into.
I simply fertilized the jerusalem artichokes I naturtalized out in the field which I don't plan to eat anytime soon.
Easy and cheap!

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 AM.