08/17/10, 10:10 PM
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: near Abilene,TX
Cherry tomato preserves sound good....
CHERRY TOMATO JAM
4 pounds cherry tomatoes
3 pounds sugar
1/2 fresh pineapple
1 oz whole cloves
2 tablespoons mixed peppercorns
1 1/2 teaspoons of hot pepper flakes
1. Wash and dry the lemon and orange. Chop into chunks and remove any pips. Place fruit chunks into a food processor and finely chop.
2. Peel the 1/2 of pineapple and remove the core. Cut into 1 inch cubes.
3. Wash and dry the cherry tomatoes.
4. Put the citrus mixture, the pineapple chunks and the cherry tomatoes in a large glass dish. Pour 1 and ½ pounds of the sugar over the mixture. Cover the bowl and store in the refrigerator overnight.
5. The next day empty the contents of the bowl into a large, heavy based, stainless steel saucepan. Add the whole cloves and the peppercorns. Stir. Over a low heat bring the mixture to a boil, stirring frequently. Boil for 30 minutes.
5. Add the rest of the sugar and the hot pepper flakes and cook until the jam sets. Stir frequently.
6. When jam has set, ladle it into hot, sterilized jars. Seal. Process in a simmering hot water bath at 190 degrees for 10 minutes for half-pints. Label and store in a cool, dark, dry place. Refrigerate once opened.
Last edited by GrannyG; 08/17/10 at 10:13 PM.