05/16/13, 12:50 PM
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NE Florida
I love the elite jars too. They look so pretty on the shelf. Thought about giving them as gifts but can't bear to part with them. LOL Here is the recipe I used for the garlic. Instead of the actual hot pepper I used pepper flakes. I like the look better. The garlic can be eaten as a pickle or used in recipes calling for garlic cloves. It is good. I blanched the garlic for a couple of minutes to make pealing much easier.
- 1 1/2 lbs garlic, peeled,large cloves cut in half
- 5 hot peppers
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut in strips ( Optional)
- Combine vinegar & sugar over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves, bring to a boil and boil 5 minutes Add Garlic and hot peppers,also add sweet red pepper if using.
- Bring to a boil and boil 5 minutes.
- Put a hot pepper into each sterilized jar, add the cloves of garlic to within 1" of the top of the jar (add the sweet red pepper if using) Fill with boiling sugar/vinegar mixture to within 1/4" of the top of the jar.
- Release air bubbles, ensure the rim is clean and seal the jars.
- Let the pickled garlic rest for 2 weeks and believe me you will enjoy.
Last edited by Janossy; 05/16/13 at 12:52 PM.
Reason: forgot to add....