Angora rabbit fiber - Homesteading Today
Homesteading Today

Go Back   Homesteading Today > Country Homemaking > Fiber Arts

Fiber Arts Welcome to The Fold. Where death by fiber is such a comfy way to go!


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1  
Old 05/24/10, 09:43 AM
dixienc's Avatar
Rebelicious
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 572
Angora rabbit fiber

I am being buried under a mountain of Angora fiber from my rabbits, and due to the fact I don't know how to spin yet it's not being used just taking up space. Anyone interested in this fiber? Make me an offer, I have no idea what it is worth as I have never sold fiber before.

The color is blackish silver and I also have some grey/silver fiber. Very clean, very soft and sitting inside ziplock bags since harvest. If you need a picture just email me at dawnrtigner@yahoo.com or send me a PM and I will put one up.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05/24/10, 10:31 AM
Madame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: WI
Posts: 4,274

I'm interested, but I have no idea what to offer. Anyone know?

__________________

Marvelous Madame
Be kind to others. You do not know what burdens they are carrying.

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05/24/10, 11:09 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: OKlahhoma
Posts: 1,020

I would also be intereted depending on how much you have to offer. I too have no idea on price.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05/24/10, 11:25 AM
Wind in Her Hair's Avatar
Interrobanger
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northwoods of Minnesota, formerly of Texas
Posts: 17,589

from what I remember from the Shepherd's Harvest -seem like unwashed fiber was going for $2.00 an ounce to higher if it was longer???

__________________
She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands. Proverbs 31:13
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05/24/10, 11:55 AM
dixienc's Avatar
Rebelicious
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 572

I have three gallon size ziplocks, black/silver 1 3/4oz, light grey/silver 2 1/4oz, med grey/silver 2 1/2oz. The locks are from 2 1/2 inches and longer ( last pic shows one).




I found someone selling the same thing on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120571388207

__________________

Last edited by dixienc; 05/24/10 at 11:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05/24/10, 12:56 PM
mamajohnson's Avatar
Knitting Rocks!
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: North East Texas
Posts: 5,749

I'd be interested if there is any left? med/gray/silver ?

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05/24/10, 01:15 PM
dixienc's Avatar
Rebelicious
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajohnson View Post
I'd be interested if there is any left? med/gray/silver ?
I have 2 1/2 oz of that one, do you think $5 an oz is too much? I looked on Ebay and the same type of fiber (Prime, not washed) is going for $17 an oz! That is really expensive. I don't think shipping would be much if I used a large envelope. Would you want all the 2 1/2 oz or just part?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05/24/10, 01:21 PM
mamajohnson's Avatar
Knitting Rocks!
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: North East Texas
Posts: 5,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixienc View Post
I have 2 1/2 oz of that one, do you think $5 an oz is too much? I looked on Ebay and the same type of fiber (Prime, not washed) is going for $17 an oz! That is really expensive. I don't think shipping would be much if I used a large envelope. Would you want all the 2 1/2 oz or just part?
Your price is great with me! I would want all 2 1/2 oz, yes. A flat rate priority envelope should work.... let me pm you....
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05/24/10, 01:29 PM
dixienc's Avatar
Rebelicious
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajohnson View Post
Your price is great with me! I would want all 2 1/2 oz, yes. A flat rate priority envelope should work.... let me pm you....
Ok, great! And thanks.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05/24/10, 02:46 PM
Marchwind's Avatar
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Southwest Michigan by way of the Northwoods of MN
Posts: 10,533

Just for the record. Angora is typically not washed before spinning (I would say never but you know what they say about saying that)

Glad you found a home for your fibers.

__________________

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Mother Teresa

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05/24/10, 04:24 PM
dixienc's Avatar
Rebelicious
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchwind View Post
Just for the record. Angora is typically not washed before spinning (I would say never but you know what they say about saying that)

Glad you found a home for your fibers.
I've never heard of being washed either. Have you ever seen an Angora Rabbit that gets wet?? What a mess! The fiber is too fine, I think.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05/24/10, 04:41 PM
RiverPines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,408

No you dont want to wash angora fiber. You wont be spinning after its been ruined. It is just to fine.

It can be washed after its been spun.

Guard hairs will devalue the fiber because they are hairs not wool and dont hold the spin well and are not soft on the skin.

The more guard hairs the less of value.

The premium price angora has no guard hair at all.
So you have to factor that into price as guard hair in angora wool is not wanted. Its a pain to pick it out, believe me.

__________________

"We spend money we don't have on things we don't need to create impressions that won't last on people we don't care about."
~T.Jackson

My site.

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05/25/10, 11:10 PM
rabbitgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Calif
Posts: 1,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixienc View Post
I have 2 1/2 oz of that one, do you think $5 an oz is too much? I looked on Ebay and the same type of fiber (Prime, not washed) is going for $17 an oz! That is really expensive.

$5 is a very fair price. At a fiber festival, I saw an angora breeder selling white english angora wool, clipped, in 2 ounce bags for $10 a bag, 3 bags (6 oz) for $50. She sold all that she brought. This wool was unwashed.

I've sold angora for $6 per ounce.

Angora wool is a premium fiber. One of the reasons it is premium is because it comes off the rabbit in a form that is ready to use for spinning. You don't have to wash it, you don't have to card it, you grab it and spin.

The guard hairs are an important part of the structure of the angora wool. The guard hair is part of what creates the halo of spun angora yarn. There is supposed to be a certain percentage of the wool that is guard hair, depending on the breed.

The guard hair on individual rabbits can vary. Most of the show and wool rabbits have soft guard hairs that do not have to be removed. Some rabbits have coarse guard hairs that should be removed. But this is not standard practice. This would be the exception.

The way these breeders are dealing with coarse guard hairs is to breed for soft guard hairs. They want to be able spin wool plucked directly from the rabbit with no other preparation.

I've been checking with my panel of experts, angora rabbit breeders and hand spinners. Most of them have never removed guard hairs before spinning.

A couple of people mentioned having seen very hairy wool, almost like a llama and so they de-haired the angora rabbit wool because that is what they do with llama or cashmere (angora goat). But this is not a standard practice with angora rabbit wool..

One person mentioned they remove guard hair to reduce lumps in the yarn, but that is not standard practice. That is just a personal decision they made.

The sale prices for angora rabbit wool are running from $4 to $6 per ounce for clipped or plucked, packed in plastic bags. Packing in tissue paper is usually done only for fiber show judging and is not an indicator of the quality of the wool.

So that's what I've heard from my friends in the angora rabbit world who raise English, French, Germans, Giants, Satins, and various angora crosses. Also from my friends who are spinners.

Even someone who is not my friend said they have never removed guard hair from the wool before spinning.

Apparently some people have reasons for removing guard hair from their rabbit wool. They are free to do so if that is their choice.

However, it would not be considered standard practice.

I hope this info helps.

Your mileage may vary.
Have a good day!
Franco Rios
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05/26/10, 06:58 AM
dixienc's Avatar
Rebelicious
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitgeek View Post
$5 is a very fair price. At a fiber festival, I saw an angora breeder selling white english angora wool, clipped, in 2 ounce bags for $10 a bag, 3 bags (6 oz) for $50. She sold all that she brought. This wool was unwashed.

I've sold angora for $6 per ounce.

Angora wool is a premium fiber. One of the reasons it is premium is because it comes off the rabbit in a form that is ready to use for spinning. You don't have to wash it, you don't have to card it, you grab it and spin.

The guard hairs are an important part of the structure of the angora wool. The guard hair is part of what creates the halo of spun angora yarn. There is supposed to be a certain percentage of the wool that is guard hair, depending on the breed.

The guard hair on individual rabbits can vary. Most of the show and wool rabbits have soft guard hairs that do not have to be removed. Some rabbits have coarse guard hairs that should be removed. But this is not standard practice. This would be the exception.

The way these breeders are dealing with coarse guard hairs is to breed for soft guard hairs. They want to be able spin wool plucked directly from the rabbit with no other preparation.

I've been checking with my panel of experts, angora rabbit breeders and hand spinners. Most of them have never removed guard hairs before spinning.

A couple of people mentioned having seen very hairy wool, almost like a llama and so they de-haired the angora rabbit wool because that is what they do with llama or cashmere (angora goat). But this is not a standard practice with angora rabbit wool..

One person mentioned they remove guard hair to reduce lumps in the yarn, but that is not standard practice. That is just a personal decision they made.

The sale prices for angora rabbit wool are running from $4 to $6 per ounce for clipped or plucked, packed in plastic bags. Packing in tissue paper is usually done only for fiber show judging and is not an indicator of the quality of the wool.

So that's what I've heard from my friends in the angora rabbit world who raise English, French, Germans, Giants, Satins, and various angora crosses. Also from my friends who are spinners.

Even someone who is not my friend said they have never removed guard hair from the wool before spinning.

Apparently some people have reasons for removing guard hair from their rabbit wool. They are free to do so if that is their choice.

However, it would not be considered standard practice.

I hope this info helps.

Your mileage may vary.
Have a good day!
Franco Rios
Thank you so much for the brief education on Angora fiber. I wasn't sure about he guard hair for Angora. I haven't seen many coarse hairs in the my angora fiber that I have plucked, but was wondering about it. I have played around with my spindle trying to spin this angora fiber and I did manage to get a foot or two before I got it too thick and stopped. It spins beautifully right from the bag, and is so soft!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05/26/10, 07:04 AM
Marchwind's Avatar
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Southwest Michigan by way of the Northwoods of MN
Posts: 10,533

I used to have and breed French angora and I bred wanting lots of guard hairs, mine were never course enough to need to be removed.

Franco thanks for the info.

__________________

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Mother Teresa

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05/26/10, 07:21 AM
mamajohnson's Avatar
Knitting Rocks!
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: North East Texas
Posts: 5,749

Franco, thnx for all that! Great information.
I am trying to talk DH into angora rabbits, he is wanting meat rabbits again. The drawback is, it gets so hot here, I would worry about them. Or possibly get them an a/c.. lol!
I love the softness of angora.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05/26/10, 11:19 AM
rabbitgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Calif
Posts: 1,787

Air conditioning is a very good option for angoras. We've had to use AC for our rabbits kept in the garage.

For open air rabbitries, angoras will need fans and ice bottles once it gets above 85F in temp. When it got around 100F, we started moving our angoras into the house to sit in carrier cages in the hallway until sundown.

Our short hair rabbits were usually okay up to 110F with the fans blowing, then any rabbit showing signs of heat stress came into the house.

This assumes rabbits outdoors are shaded from the sun, plenty of ventilation.

You could setup for meat rabbits, sell some, and use the money to buy wool from somebody. Anybody will tell you it is cheaper to buy the wool than to buy rabbits.

Have a good day!
Franco Rios
Sacramento, Calif
110F + temps in summer
Currently 54F and scattered showers

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05/26/10, 11:23 AM
rabbitgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Calif
Posts: 1,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixienc View Post
Thank you so much for the brief education on Angora fiber. I wasn't sure about he guard hair for Angora. I haven't seen many coarse hairs in the my angora fiber that I have plucked, but was wondering about it. I have played around with my spindle trying to spin this angora fiber and I did manage to get a foot or two before I got it too thick and stopped. It spins beautifully right from the bag, and is so soft!
Don't give up on the spindle. I learned how to spin with angora combings so I did not know it was supposed to be difficult to spin.

It's not that hard to spin it. Just take your time. Keep bag and spindle handy for sitting in front of the television.

Have a good day.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05/26/10, 03:16 PM
Marchwind's Avatar
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Southwest Michigan by way of the Northwoods of MN
Posts: 10,533

MamaJ I have my rabbits outside year around. It get bitter cold up here and it can get down right hot, 90's-100's. My rabbits were on the north side of a building and under several crab apple trees. Like Franco said when it got hot I would put an ice bottle (liter bottles frozen with water in them or smaller pop bottles). I also made sure they had plenty of fresh water. Their cages were up on legs about 3 feet off the ground and were all wire with a roof. I never lost one of mine to the heat. I would also try to time their plucking/shearing so they would not be in full coat during the hottest part of the summer. I also handled them minimally during these time, less stress is always a good thing for angoras.

__________________

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Mother Teresa

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05/26/10, 07:22 PM
dixienc's Avatar
Rebelicious
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchwind View Post
MamaJ I have my rabbits outside year around. It get bitter cold up here and it can get down right hot, 90's-100's. My rabbits were on the north side of a building and under several crab apple trees. Like Franco said when it got hot I would put an ice bottle (liter bottles frozen with water in them or smaller pop bottles). I also made sure they had plenty of fresh water. Their cages were up on legs about 3 feet off the ground and were all wire with a roof. I never lost one of mine to the heat. I would also try to time their plucking/shearing so they would not be in full coat during the hottest part of the summer. I also handled them minimally during these time, less stress is always a good thing for angoras.
I also have mine outside, and if you've ever been to Nc you k now it gets HOT here and very humid. I keep them in covered cages by our forest of trees where the air is cooler and check waterers at least 6 times a day. I also keep them brushed out and plucked every 3 months about. this weekend I will be harvesting from them again, just before the real hot weather starts up. I have not lost one rabbit, no matter the breed, to heat issues.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 PM.