Buying Crackers v. Making Crackers - Homesteading Today
Homesteading Today

Go Back   Homesteading Today > Country Homemaking > Cooking

Cooking General Discussions and Questions


Like Tree10Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1  
Old 03/26/13, 04:45 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Page County, VA
Posts: 35
Smile Buying Crackers v. Making Crackers

I would like to say that I am one of those people who likes things to be cost effective. I make and dry my own pasta because normally we buy 5 boxes at the store for roughly 2$ a piece and for a bag of flour and eggs from our chickens I can make the exact same amount for around 5$.

I have a small child and my husband who both love Cheez-its and Wheat thins. The crackers call for flour, unsalted butter, and some seasoning.

Has anyone else tried this?

Is it really more cost effective? did they store well? and more importantly DID THEY TAST GOOD?

Thanks!!!!

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03/26/13, 08:05 PM
TJN66's Avatar
Canning Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Farm Country NY
Posts: 2,325

Good questions...I cant wait to see the answers too!

__________________
Be the kind of woman that, when your feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says
"Oh Crap, She's up!"


Tammy
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03/26/13, 09:15 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 92

I make graham crackers...those are incredibly good. No comparison to store bought and absolutely worth it.
I haven't made 'regular' crackers, but I'm positive that they, too, would be really good!

PS: The grahams store very well in a tin for a couple months.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03/26/13, 09:43 PM
Jacktheknife's Avatar
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Iowa
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
I make graham crackers...those are incredibly good. No comparison to store bought and absolutely worth it.
I haven't made 'regular' crackers, but I'm positive that they, too, would be really good!

PS: The grahams store very well in a tin for a couple months.
I would like to have that graham cracker recipe.
TJN66, PaulaBlanch and Taylor R. like this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03/26/13, 10:38 PM
motdaugrnds's Avatar
motdaugrnds
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,479

I will be following this thread as I, too, want to be more frugal.

I've actually experimented with making crackers; but they have not turned out very well. I'm hoping to get ideas that actually work.

__________________
I am what I am! Acknowledging this is the beginning; and my growth is yet to end. http://motdaugrnds.com/farmsales ~~~~~ http://motdaugrnds.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03/26/13, 11:05 PM
Jacktheknife's Avatar
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Iowa
Posts: 228

Here is a recipe I have been meaning to try for sourdough crackers.

http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/20...heat-crackers/

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03/27/13, 09:44 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Page County, VA
Posts: 35
Thanks!

Well, I will experiment soon! I have a bunch of pepper jack that needs to be used and I will sit down and figure out the price, how much a batch is, and compare it to a box of crackers.

Thanks everyone!

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03/27/13, 07:20 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 92

Looking forward to hearing how your crackers come out.

Recipe I use for graham crackers:
9T plus 1t soft butter
3/4 C sugar
3/4 C flour
1 1/3 C whole wheat flour
4 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
6 T buttermilk

Cream butter/sugar
Combine dry ingredients, add to butter mix alternately with milk.
Divide dough in half, wrap and chill 1H.
Roll out on floured surface 1/4" thick. Cut as desired. Place on parchment on baking sheet.
Prick tops if desired. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
Bake at 325 12-15" till lightly browned.

For us, I use a little less sugar, cutout with cookie cutters, sprinkle generously w/plain cinnamon...some I squish a whole almond into (my faves!)

WestWindFarm and Taylor R. like this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03/27/13, 07:46 PM
Jacktheknife's Avatar
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Iowa
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
Looking forward to hearing how your crackers come out.

Recipe I use for graham crackers:
9T plus 1t soft butter
3/4 C sugar
3/4 C flour
1 1/3 C whole wheat flour
4 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
6 T buttermilk

Cream butter/sugar
Combine dry ingredients, add to butter mix alternately with milk.
Divide dough in half, wrap and chill 1H.
Roll out on floured surface 1/4" thick. Cut as desired. Place on parchment on baking sheet.
Prick tops if desired. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
Bake at 325 12-15" till lightly browned.

For us, I use a little less sugar, cutout with cookie cutters, sprinkle generously w/plain cinnamon...some I squish a whole almond into (my faves!)
So no graham flour?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03/27/13, 07:56 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: west virginia
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
Looking forward to hearing how your crackers come out.

Recipe I use for graham crackers:
9T plus 1t soft butter
3/4 C sugar
3/4 C flour
1 1/3 C whole wheat flour
4 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
6 T buttermilk

Cream butter/sugar
Combine dry ingredients, add to butter mix alternately with milk.
Divide dough in half, wrap and chill 1H.
Roll out on floured surface 1/4" thick. Cut as desired. Place on parchment on baking sheet.
Prick tops if desired. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
Bake at 325 12-15" till lightly browned.

For us, I use a little less sugar, cutout with cookie cutters, sprinkle generously w/plain cinnamon...some I squish a whole almond into (my faves!)
Do you use Graham Flour??
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03/28/13, 07:44 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 92

No. Just regular white and whole wheat, which works for me, as I prefer to use what I have vs. buying especial.
These are so good as is, that I'm always asked for the recipe. I even bring these for Holiday cookie exchange.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03/28/13, 07:18 PM
Jacktheknife's Avatar
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Iowa
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
No. Just regular white and whole wheat, which works for me, as I prefer to use what I have vs. buying especial.
These are so good as is, that I'm always asked for the recipe. I even bring these for Holiday cookie exchange.
Thanks for sharing. I have everything on hand, I will give these a try.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03/28/13, 11:20 PM
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montana
Posts: 44

Graham flour is a course whole wheat flour. So if you can't find graham flour just use whole wheat flour for the same results.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03/29/13, 12:54 AM
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,301

I make cheeze its. They come out well and are delishes. I have no idea how well they store because we eat them all as soon as they are cool enough to handle. I don't think they are really cost effective but I at least there's no garbage in them which is worth it to me.

WestWindFarm and Taylor R. like this.
__________________
http://silvercreek-farm.blogspot.com
Livin' the good life
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03/30/13, 02:58 PM
Jacktheknife's Avatar
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Iowa
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
Looking forward to hearing how your crackers come out.

Recipe I use for graham crackers:
9T plus 1t soft butter
3/4 C sugar
3/4 C flour
1 1/3 C whole wheat flour
4 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
6 T buttermilk

Cream butter/sugar
Combine dry ingredients, add to butter mix alternately with milk.
Divide dough in half, wrap and chill 1H.
Roll out on floured surface 1/4" thick. Cut as desired. Place on parchment on baking sheet.
Prick tops if desired. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
Bake at 325 12-15" till lightly browned.

For us, I use a little less sugar, cutout with cookie cutters, sprinkle generously w/plain cinnamon...some I squish a whole almond into (my faves!)
I mixed these up in Lucy (the red headed stand mixer) and have the dough chilling in the ice box. I used graham flour that I picked up at the rainbow co-op yesterday.

Any tips on getting these rolled out?

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03/30/13, 05:52 PM
Jacktheknife's Avatar
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Iowa
Posts: 228

Ok, rolling wasn't as bad as I expected, but use flour to keep the dough from sticking. I cut with a pizza cutter. The crackers come off easily from from the oven, but stick and will break if you let them cool even slightly.i immediately but them on a cool sheet for the second batch and had no problems.

I am not sure if it was because I used graham flour, but these could have use a little more sweetness. I will try adding a couple tablespoons of honey next time.

The application of cinnamon was the thoughest bit, I think I will have to try a cocoa shaker next time.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04/03/13, 08:59 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Louisiana zone 8b
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacktheknife View Post
Here is a recipe I have been meaning to try for sourdough crackers.

http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/20...heat-crackers/
Thanks for posting this. I've been wanting to try making crackers.

I've been needing to feed my poor neglected King Arthur starter. I'm going to pull it out tonight and make these tomorrow. Will grind some hard red wheat. On second thought, I'll wait until tomorrow night. Montana Wheat order coming in tomorrow and I'll have spelt and Kamut.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04/16/13, 02:08 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Louisiana zone 8b
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacktheknife View Post
Here is a recipe I have been meaning to try for sourdough crackers.

http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/20...heat-crackers/
These crackers are amazing! Not sure how they would taste cooled down as none of them made it to that stage. DD was picking them up "hot" off the tray and blowing on them to cool just a bit. Definitely a keeper recipe - taste like a better wheat thin.

Haven't run a cost study on them, but the sourdough starter was a "saved" throw-a-way. One cup of spelt flour was 2/3's cup milled spelt berries from Wheat Montana co-op buy. Most expensive item was 1/4 cup coconut oil. Recipe suggests lard instead, but I don't have any. Wish I had kept fat from the pastured pig DD and I split

Only cooked one batch, followed recipe suggestion to freeze remainder in balls to roll out later. Recipe made five 3 1/2 ounce balls. Yummy, yummy - and a save for the portion of sourdough that feeding recipes always tell you to throw-a-way: an impossibility for me.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04/25/13, 04:44 AM
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Will move to PA after we marry!
Posts: 21

my dad used to make wheat thins and graham crackers. Both good, kind of a PITB to make and we never had any storage issues. Of course, he never had any left to store!!

I would like cheese cracker recipe-life is better with chesse.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04/25/13, 10:48 AM
Jacktheknife's Avatar
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Iowa
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpennington View Post
These crackers are amazing! Not sure how they would taste cooled down as none of them made it to that stage. DD was picking them up "hot" off the tray and blowing on them to cool just a bit. Definitely a keeper recipe - taste like a better wheat thin.

Haven't run a cost study on them, but the sourdough starter was a "saved" throw-a-way. One cup of spelt flour was 2/3's cup milled spelt berries from Wheat Montana co-op buy. Most expensive item was 1/4 cup coconut oil. Recipe suggests lard instead, but I don't have any. Wish I had kept fat from the pastured pig DD and I split

Only cooked one batch, followed recipe suggestion to freeze remainder in balls to roll out later. Recipe made five 3 1/2 ounce balls. Yummy, yummy - and a save for the portion of sourdough that feeding recipes always tell you to throw-a-way: an impossibility for me.
I'm glad they turned out well. I still haven't gotten a chance to try these as I have to finish perfecting and mass producing some of my other recipes first. I've got to be ready for when the kids are home all summer.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Growing sugarcane and making cane syrup A.T. Hagan Gardening & Plant Propagation 17 08/07/13 09:38 AM
Gluten Free Crackers oregon woodsmok Cooking 0 12/21/11 06:31 PM
Cheese Making Workshop jucal Cooking 0 02/08/11 11:19 AM
Milking and Cheese Making Workshop jucal Dairy 0 02/08/11 11:17 AM
making honeymead WIPPdriver Homesteading Questions 24 02/24/05 07:40 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 AM.